With health and well-being becoming an increasingly pressing subject within working environments it is important to consider your own and others health and well-being at work and the changes you can make to improve it.
The CIPD 2018 Health and Well-Being at Work survey has identified that mental health and stress related absence have shown a year on year increase.
The top three reasons for stress related absence are:
- Management style
- Relationships outside of work
The report also highlighted that the key benefits of investing in health and well-being include:
- Better employee morale and engagement
- A healthier and more inclusive culture
- Lower sickness absence
So with this in mind, here are our top tips you can implement to improve the health and well-being of you and your employees:
How to do it…
1.Create a positive and innovative working environment
Last year we undertook a work space refurbishment, the new space now ensures a fresh, creative and positive working environment through:
- Positive messaging around the office
- A new breakfast bar to encourage socialisation and eating together
- Open plan set up encouraging employees to mix and ask questions freely across the team
2.Open, family oriented culture
The Culture at Inspire impacts all areas of the business and ensures staff enjoy their working lives, our culture is created through:
- Inclusivity, creating an open and friendly culture amongst the team throughout the hierarchy/ between management and the team
- Flexibility for staff, staff with children are able to balance their career and family creating a family inclusive culture
- Allowing and encouraging a birthday day off
- CSR day – staff are encouraged to take a day dedicating their time to support their favourite charity
- Weekly stocked fruit bowl – encouraging healthy snacking
- New starter lunches – new starters are taken out for lunch (along with one member from each of the teams) to encourage confidence and new relationships
This is a big part of ensuring our staff are learning and enjoy working at Inspire:
- We give support and encouragement to every individual at Inspire, through training opportunities and a career plan that is reviewed yearly
- We encourage staff to be accountable and proactive giving a sense of purpose
- We encourage all staff to step out of their comfort zone and push themselves to their full potential nurturing the team to grow and flourish
- Last year we launched our internal Business Academy so we could deliver bespoke professional training exclusively to our team members, giving them the opportunity to refine their skills and develop an understanding towards the entrepreneur and their experiences
4.Socialisation and team spirit
As well as ensuring health and well-being internally we also pay attention to health and well-being through a range of external activities:
- We organise summer fun days where all staff are invited to take part in an activity such as rounder’s and a picnic, these days encourage us to take time out and spend together as a team
- We also take part in annual micro adventures, staff are encouraged to take part in a non-compulsory active challenge once a year as an example, last year we trekked across Brownsea island and camped overnight, and this year we will be taking part in a sunrise climb up Mount Snowdon
- Ad hoc staff lunches and social events are held regularly throughout the year encouraging socialisation and a sense of community
As a result of this range of activities we have seen:
- Greater staff motivation
- A great feeling of team spirit
- Family type feel to our environment
- Healthier and happier staff!
If you have any questions on anything noted or what we do at Inspire in terms of our health and well-being then please get in touch on 01202 717867.
If you are interested in working within a caring, health and well-being conscious team take a look at our current opportunities.